Saturday, 10 June 2017

Personal Work - Crushed Soul Lip Sync #1


I decided that (as well as working on and improving my film) I would practice some lip syncing as it is something I haven't done a lot of. I'm currently working on the blocking out of the body and once that is starting to get a bit more refined I will then add in the lip sync. 

This one is a bit of a warm up as I plan on completing the 11 seconds club June competition, which is a lovely clip from Guardians of the Galaxy. This character is from Long Winter Studios, It has lots of wonderful features and the rig is really great to work with. Looking forward to getting this scene nailed and starting on the 11 seconds club animation!

Wednesday, 7 June 2017

Bedtime Story - New Shot & Water FX

Part of my feedback from hand in involves me changing one of the earlier scenes to better reflect the wording of the poem. The poem reads "would wind up with him dead" so to illustrate this I have thumbnailed some of my ideas. It will be a 2D shot and at the moment I quite like 4 and 8, any opinions or feedback is of course welcomed.



I've been working on adding some 2D animations to help sell the water shots,I also tracked the particles in the underwater shots to create the feel of depth. I will be adding some kelp to further the z depth of the shot and to hopefully make the underwater scenes feel more underwater.

Thursday, 18 May 2017

Major Project - Reflective Statement

I really enjoyed the major project, although it was a very intense project with a heavy workload I feel as if the reward of seeing my film come together made the whole experience joyful. Coming out of the minor project fuelled with enthusiasm I immediately started to refine and remodel the spider bed. This posed some interesting challenges, I found it difficult at first to achieve the look of the spider bed but with some advice and help from my tutors I was able to create a creature I was happy with. After the spider bed was finalised I moved onto getting the shark bed and blanket hand done which also had some interesting challenges to overcome, this cost me some time which cut into some of the time that I had planned for animation.

Unfortunately I didn't get as much time as I wanted to animate, a variety of things caused this and I lost time in jobs that I had planned less time for. This made the whole experience feel a lot more intense as when it came to animation I was forced to work quicker and more strategically. The animation in my film at the moment isn't where I want it to be, however I am very happy that I managed to get the whole film animated and rendered. Once the deadline crept closer I had to finalise the animation the best I could and move onto lighting. When I started lighting I really struggled to get shots to look how I wanted. It took me a lot longer than I had hoped but with the help of Alan I was able to achieve lighting that helped tell my story. 

There are a few things that I would like to add to the film, one is kelp during the underwater scene to add more depth and to create a more interesting space. The next is sound design, I feel as if I could spend a lot more time working on the sound effects. It is something I don't find easy but it is something that will help bring my world to life. I think the film is also missing a score, I had trouble finding a composer early on and as the deadline got closer it became increasingly difficult to step away from work and commit time to finding someone. Lastly I would like to touch up the animation, throughout the whole film there is a lot of work that can be done animation wise to really help sell myself as an animator. I want to choose two or three scenes to really put a lot of time and effort in to use for a future showreel.

The project overall has been very rewarding, I feel as if I have tackled all of the issues head on and attempted to make the best film I could in the time period. I am happy with how the film looks overall, however as previously stated I will be touching up the animation post hand in. Looking back over the last three years I really feel a sense of achievement, which I believe is reflected throughout my work. I can see a huge improvement over the projects and it is strange to think that this is my last project on the course.

Major Project - Submission Post

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Major Project - Lighting #4

I've been working on getting the shots lit ready to send to be rendered for hand in, I've found it very challenging but I think it is all starting to work together. The warm lighting of the room has been something I've really struggled with however today Alan gave me some really useful tips to get it looking closer to what I wanted. 


Friday, 28 April 2017

Major Project - Lighting Test #3


I added a lens to my camera in Maya as suggested by Alan, this helped me make the scene darker overall.


I then added some extra rim lights and a back light for the boy to make him pop. I also took the image into photoshop and adjusted the curves to push the values a bit more.


I went into the next scene and imported my lights to see if they work with close ups, after getting some feedback from Alan it was apparent that the lamp and bed need some bounce lighting from the wall, I went ahead and added that. I think it helps the image to pop out a bit more, however my render times are starting to creep above 5 minutes which is longer than I wanted them to be.

Major Project - Hand Scene #2


I adjusted the timing and flow of the hand scene and I think it is working much better now, when it comes to lighting these scenes I will add red rim lights to link the 2d and 3d world together.